Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Out For A Hike







On a recent glorious, sunny and mild winter day my husband and I decided to trek over to the Sleeping Bear National Seashore for a day wandering the dunes.


Very few people were out and about and we practically had the place to ourselves.

Long before the National Seashore was developed my parents had a summer cottage just south of what was then the state owned Sleeping Bear Dunes.  I spent most of my childhood summers romping around these dunes.  My brothers and I  hiked all through this area as kids.  Revisiting the area is always a pleasure.  The land we used as a summer playground is now part of the Sleeping Bear National Seashore and open to all.  





The cottage is gone now.  The park service took it down years ago, but the  sand, cedars and white pines remain.  I can still see where the cottage used to be, although the wind and weather have taken their toll.  Nothing remains  except memories.  




My father planted these white pine trees the year I was born.  It is amazing, to me, how much they have grown; how big they are now.











No comments:

Post a Comment